The Company is licensed and managed in the Cayman Islands to reinsure risks from the issuing insurance company, Zurich, that is licensed and provides coverage in the United States. The types of coverage reinsured by National Contractors Insurance Ltd. are Workers’ Compensation, General Liability, Automobile Liability, and Auto Physical Damage.
Each shareholder is entitled to appoint a director to the National Contractors Insurance Ltd. Board of Directors. Every shareholder, regardless of premium size, has one vote. A simple majority governs. National Contractors Insurance Ltd. shareholder responsibilities include controlling losses, and participating in board meetings; shareholders are also encouraged to educate other high quality companies about the captive concept. Management strength lies in a strong committee structure and the individual involvement of all directors during frequent meetings held both in the Cayman Islands and other locations outside the United States. Presently, the committees and their primary responsibilities are:
- Executive - Comprised of officers, committee chairpersons, and designated members at large. Focus is to develop long-range plans for the Company based on strategic analysis.
- Finance - Reviews the Company’s interim and audited financial statements and monitors each member’s compliance with its financial obligations to the Company. Also advises the Board on policies for the investment of the Company’s assets.
- Underwriting - Advises the Board on desirable risks to be assumed and ensures that these risks are adequately underwritten.
- Risk Control - Sets loss control goals for the members. Reviews loss control reports and works with members to meet the required loss control and claims management requirements of National Contractors Insurance Ltd.
- Nominating - Recommends to the Board of Directors future officers and committee chairpersons for a two-year term.